Saturday, May 28, 2011

Lots of pictures!

I went a little crazy and took a bunch of pictures of our farm.  The weather was beautiful - how could I not??

Here are the ducks - I just can't help but sing that song from Sesame Street, "One of these things is not like the other..."  It's really too bad that their time on our farm is up, at least for 9 of the 10.  I kinda liked seeing all that white in the tall grass...




And the goats - the only one I didn't get a picture of is Bonnie, our first Nubian doe.

Chili

Yagi

Our new buck (name is unknown for the moment)

Lily - the baby born on our farm
And the bunnies - well, at least the newest ones.  These are almost 5 weeks old!  In the bunch, we discovered we have a white bunny with blue eyes!


The Cornish Cross chickens - their time is up on our farm as well.  We started with 33 and (sadly) now only have 28.  We're hoping that we get about 5 pounds of meat per bird....


I know, I know, I left a few animals out.  The adult rabbits and the laying hens will have their turn in the spotlight.  Lastly is our garden.  We're off to another slow start this year - Mother Nature just doesn't want to cooperate.

The dwarf orchard - plums in the front and to the right; apples in the back

Early potatoes

Late potatoes

Lavender


Onions

Oregano

Strawberries and rhubarb

Thyme & sage

The new garden area (currently being fertilized by the Cornish Cross chickens)

As you can see, we're expanding the garden area by at least twice the original size.  Making lots more room for goodies!  I can't believe that my lavender survived the winter!!  It's not really as big as it looks in the picture, but it's a lot bigger than it was last year!

The weather was so good that we had a fire in the fire-pit and roasted hot dogs for dinner.  (And s'mores for dessert!!)

Steve & Tyler

Hunter
(one of these days I'll stop being a paranoid mom and take the tops off their cups)
Finally, I was able to snap a couple pictures of our neighbors.  They are always yelling at us and trying to get us to give them free food....



I can't wait until we get our cow!!  The wait is killing me!!  Not much longer.... ;)

I've ventured into another craft (like I need another one) - soap and lotion making.  The good news is that soap-making is a LOT easier than I thought it would be the bad news is that I won't know how the first 2 batches turned out for another 5 weeks.  Be on the lookout for future posts about my soap-making endeavors.  The lotion is a completely different story, well, not that different.  It, too, was VERY easy.  And the results are amazing.  Now I just have to figure out the scents.  I made lotion bars (kind of like this hand salve) but not in a tin (it's harder).  I'll have to take pictures the next time I make it - sorry.