Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Farm food

This past week has been amazing!  We added 30 new critters to the farm.  Okay, okay, it started out as 33 but we had a few casualties.  But all are doing fine now!  And in about 10 weeks, they'll be even better.....yummy!



Last Friday I received the yogurt maker that I had ordered.  I wanted to try a couple of different methods, but I couldn't bring myself to risk losing that much milk to "test" out their methods.  Our precious raw milk is too valuable to waste... I'll explain the two other methods just in case someone has "extra" milk they want to experiment with.  Maybe once we get our cow, and have LOTS of milk to use, I'll try their methods.



1.  This method was told to me by the farmer that I bought one of our goats from.  Bring a quart of milk to 185 degrees in a saucepan on the stove.  Let cool to 115 degrees and then add the culture (either plain yogurt with live cultures as purchased from a store or a packet of culture purchased from anywhere that sells cheesemaking supplies such as this place).  Mix well, then pour the milk mixture into a glass jar with lid.  Place this jar into a small/medium cooler (aka ice chest) that has been filled partway with warm water.  Place a 2-liter bottle full of HOT water, with the cap, into the cooler.  Place a towel over the jar, water, and 2-liter bottle to help keep in the heat.  Leave overnight and in the morning, place yogurt in fridge to cool.

2.  This method I found online.  Basically the same process, except instead of the cooler, you place the milk mixture in the quart jar in the oven and turn on the oven light.  Leave overnight and place in the fridge in the morning.

I really wanted to try this method but my oven doesn't have a switch that I can turn on the light.  It's an older stove and I'd rather have purchased the yogurt maker than a new stove.  Although, I did kind of heckle my sister-in-law for getting one, so open mouth and insert foot.

As for making yogurt, here's how I did it. (**Note: it's best to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your yogurt maker)

1. Gather ingredients and tools.

Tools

  • a measuring cup
  • at least a 1.5 quart saucepan
  • a spoon or whisk
  • a thermometer
  • a yogurt maker (here's where I bought mine)
  • a funnel
  • a ladle (optional)



Ingredients:

  • Culture - either 6 ounces of store bought plain yogurt or a packet of culture (these directions use the packet)
  • 42 ounces milk (I use raw milk but store-bought will work too.)

2. In the saucepan, bring the milk to 185 degrees F over medium heat.  Make sure to stir it often, if not constantly, so that it doesn't scorch to the bottom.

3.  Once it reaches 185 degrees F, remove from heat and let cool to 112 degrees F.  You can speed this process by placing in a sink filled partway with cold water (I added a few ice cubes to help the cooling process but this is not necessary).

4.  Once it reaches 112 degrees F, (remove from sink) add culture.  Just sprinkle it on top and let it set for a couple of minutes to dissolve.  (That's the specks of stuff on top of the milk.)



5.  After a couple of minutes, stir well to combine and pour into jars.  I use a ladle and a funnel because I'm clumsy and I would spill it everywhere.  As you can see, the milk doesn't fill the jars completely - this is because I measured the milk at only 32 ounces (1 quart).  Normally, you would use 42 ounces and fill the jars to the top of the neck of the jar.


6.  Plug machine in and turn on.  Note the time and count ahead 10 hours - this is when it will be done and you can put it in the fridge.  Allow to cool for a couple of hours.

The instructions that came with my machine said that whole milk would take 8 hours and 2% would take 10 hours and skim milk would take 12 hours.  I just went with 10 hours but I'm not finicky about it.  If it ends up being 10.5, it will be okay.

I made mine plain with the sweet culture - this allowed us to play with flavors and mix in what we wanted.  My son had fun choosing different flavored homemade jam to mix in his.  We would add a teaspoon of sugar, a small splash of vanilla (maybe a 1/4 teaspoon), and a heaping tablespoon of jam.  YUMMY!!  You can add anything that you want.  I made some granola yesterday to mix into mine tomorrow.....

Did it turn out like store-bought?  No.  Did I expect it to?  No.  I am making something at home with real ingredients - I don't expect anything to turn out like they are at the store where it's full of stuff that I can't pronounce.  All in all, a very delicious, healthy alternative and a way to use that extra milk.... once we get our cow.